Friday, February 26, 2010

Random Rant

Not Bad Kids, Bad Parents

I witnessed two events this well past evening now, that effected me deeply. Let me preface them by saying that I have a great deal of experience working with children. My work in the church saw me running an after-school program as well as co-directing a summer camp. During this time I saw first hand the decline in the quality of our children's behavior. Children as young as 5 without the general sense of respect that many of my peers had as children. I witnessed a general disregard for authority, and no form of remorse. These issues pointed directly to the parents in my opinion. In the Nature v. Nurture debate I have clearly chosen nurture. Save for a miniscule percentage of children that are born socio-paths(and are not brutalized to that end) I do not believe humans are born innately disrespectful or opposed to manners. I believe these things are learned behaviors thus making the parents responsible. I currently work in retail and observe bad parenting on a daily basis. If your child is miserable in the store and showing it, it is your fault. Why do you expect a five year old to respond to a full day of shopping the way an adult does. Hell I know adults who whine after an hour of shopping. Your child is not old enough to enlist, vote, or consent to anything, but you are trying to convince me they have made the conscious decision to have no respect for adults. I think not. You showed them that. You are always teaching, children are always watching and listening. I commend the parents who are doing a good job, or at least trying everyone else needs to be ashamed of themselves and take this as a kick in the seat. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! With all of that said let me describe the two events that effected me so greatly.

1. A little girl approx. 10 asked her mother to buy her a pair of sunglasses that were too big. The mother told the girl no. The child pleaded, and used the defense that she was wearing them like Paris Hilton does......The mother continued to say no. Then the child used the rebuttal that her mother should get her the glasses because Paris Hilton is an inspiration figure like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, or Sojourner Truth. The mother had nothing to say in regard to this young ladies comments, and missed and opportunity to reproach her child's bizarre way of thinking. The child was otherwise mannerable and well behaved. The child's mother eventually bought the glasses


2. Three affluent young men were caught shoplifting in our store. As a store loss prevention witness I have to sit in on the interrogations, and in the case of minors remain until they are released into the custody of a parent or other guardian. The three young men showed great remorse, and from the moment the first parent arrived the three young men were reprimanded with great severity. They were best friends and on top of their effects being removed(cell phones, computers, cars) they were forbidden to associate with each other. This punishment was decided on and agreed to by all parents. The parents stood together against what their children had done and took responsibility to the point that their children all felt an immense level of guilt.


Which child(ren) has the better set of parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment