Monday, August 16, 2010

MEDIA MONDAYS

Media Monday
Big 4 exclusive

This Media Monday post is dedicated to the big four in my life. My immediate family. Had a great weekend with Pop, Moms, and L.

Movies:

The Expendables


I must admit that I was guilty of pre-judging a book by its cover in this case. I mean honestly who wouldn't when looking at this cast. We have all heard the phrase "Everything In Moderation/Nothing Excess". Simply stated too much of a good thing is never a good thing. However the concept of excess never fully applies to the massive All-Star Cast of this film. It is written and directed in a way that makes the presentations of the cast refreshing and
creative. There are never TOO many big guns on screen. There is an involving plot and sub-plot, however due to the immensity of the cast there is little room for deep character development. All in all without divulging any spoilers I will say the movie is worth the price of admission. I also saw the previews for the new M.Night film, Saw 3D and The Last Exorcism, so I guess I am not done Pre-Judging films.


Music:

Pilot Talk - Curren$y


How dare you make a Hip-Hop album with creative flows, dynamic features, and dare I say it....Musicality! I listened to Pilot Talk one full time when I initially acquired it, and immediately said that it contained some of the most musical production of any album I've heard this year(with the exclusion of How I Got Over by The Roots) I always knew Spitta could well....spit, I have followed his flows since before he even created the moniker. What I did not know was that he had such vision when constructing tracks. He showed us a glimpse of this on various mixtapes, but none like the album. The album is not without a few bad decisions or miscues but taking all of that into consideration it is a more than Solid Debut for the New Orleans native.
I highly recommend Skybourne, The Day, Chilled Coughee, and Prioritize

Televison:

The Boondocks


Season 3 of the greatest comic strip turned cartoon series ever(yeah I said it!) has drawn to an end. I made it my duty to watch every episode this season, and can honestly I was impressed by the quality of the show. It showcased a new crisp style of animation, and a revamped soundtrack. The timeless opening theme by Asheru was not touched. If I could say anything critical about this season its that it was not the beginner course. Not in the sense that if you are not familiar with the characters or relationships you will be lost, but unlike the beginning of the second season where the intensity of the satire was gradually increased, season 3 picked up right where season 2 left off and then turned it up to 11! From the first episode we were brutally greeted with Aaron McGruder's satirical depiction of society and life. Season 3 is clearly not for the faint of heart. However with that said I must admit that this could have been the funniest season yet. If you can wrap your mind around the brand of humor, you are in store for a great experience. Now can someone tell me when the box set comes out?


Literature:

The Count Of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas


I fell in love with Dumas' tale of betrayal and ultimate revenge late in the winter of 2002, when the remake of the movie was released(Jim Caviezel, Luis Guzman etc) and my best friend and I went to see it. I was so intrigued by the story I had to read it. I then wanted to see the original version of the movie. I purchased the dvd of the remake after that and showed it to everyone I could. They all had the same reaction, after having not giving the movie a shot, fell in love with the story. I recently began to re-read the story after about 6-7 years I have rediscovered why I fell in love with it in the first place. It is such an engrossing and emotional story its easy to ignore that its over 100 chapters long! A timeless story, and one of my all time favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment