Monday, August 23, 2010

MEDIA MONDAYS


Once again its Monday which means your mind is once again subject to the onslaught that is my opinion! I know I'm excited too. I am back to my normal format for this weeks post. I have a movie and a song that I will be discussing today. I also want to take a moment to give a shot-out to one of my twitter followers. I don't think she knows how much her kind words, positive feedback, and encouragement inspire and motivate me. You know who you are, thank you!


Ok before I begin this review let me establish a few things. First off let me explain my mid movie evaluation system. There are five categories that a movie can fall into after about the first 15-40 minutes. This being the minimal amount of time for even the slowest or longest of movies to establish identity.(at least thats how long I give them before checking out) During this period I will dish out one of the following categorical placements.(from lowest to highest)

1. "Can I claim this ticket as a business expense?"
Movies like "First Sunday" "Next Day Air" and "We Own The Night" fall in this category. This is reserved for movies so bad I desire to have the government reimburse me financial for enduring them. Some form of reparations are due me for the government not regulating the rampant filth film studios are allowed to distribute and the blatant lies they are allowed to tell! *Gets off his soapbox and puts down mic*

2."I should have gotten the large popcorn"
I love movie theater popcorn, with some(pronounced too much) butter on it. I mean like I seriously seriously SERIOUSLY LOVE the stuff. The smell is mesmerizing, I have considered just going to the theater for the popcorn and going home.(the manager gave me that same look before telling me I couldn't) I digress, when I go these days I always get the smallest size. Anything larger than a small(or kids in some cases) is too much popcorn for me to eat, and is too far overpriced. However a movie can be just bad enough that I wish for more popcorn so that the euphoric experience of eating it outweighs the pain of watching a poor quality film

3. "I wonder when HBO would have shown this"
Pretty self explanatory this one. The movie is mediocre and it reminds me of the fact that all movies at some point in their career end up on premium cable. Its not bad enough for me to desire to commit Seppuku but not good enough that I want anyone to know I saw it

4. "I would have gone to AMC for this"
This is the first tier of positive rankings a movie can receive from me. Regular movie goers know that AMC has become the MOST expensive theater to see a film at. I try my hardest to avoid paying a pound of flesh for a ticket and portions of my soul for snacks, but every once in a while there comes along a movie that is showing at a better time at AMC when I have gone somewhere else for economic reasons and said hey this movie is well worth the price of admission!(which is not literally a lb of flesh is more like 14oz)

5. "I MUST OWN THIS MOVIE!"
Yes I yell this phrase, not at full volume but loud enough to piss people in a 5-7 foot radius off. This is the Holy Grail of ratings. If a movie can make me say this, it is in a unique and elite club. In fact if I see about 30 films a year only 5 or 6 make it into this category.


Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
(Movie Based on The Graphic Novel)























Soctt Pilgrim Vs. The World was a category 5 hurricane! I should have realized the movie was going to be epic when the 8-bit version of the Universal Pictures intro came on the screen. The movie proceeds to intoxicate and inebriate you at every opportunity from thence forward. Its is visually striking, it is amazingly well written and well translated to the screen. The music is otherworldly...literally, its score could be the soundtrack of an awesome video game based off of an awesome movie that was based off of an equally awesome comic(wait o.0). Its is an amalgamation of everything that a nerdy person like me would think was awesome. Video games, awesome music, comics, anime, and even Bollywood films. It has smart comedy, over the top fight scenes, and an engrossing ambiance that has you feeling more like you are living in a comic more so than reading or watching one. Oh and the icing on the cake? Michael Cera and Jason Schwartzman deliver like Dominos! A definite must see






Kanye West feat. Jay - Z and Swizz Beats(and John Legend)
Power(remix)

Ok I am sorry If you are not, but I am a fan of all these gentleman. They are each a premier talent in their own right. They each have established their own brand and sound, so the three of them together are an epic song(at least on paper) However this isn't on paper it's on wax(well digi-wax) This is not a remix, its a complete re-imagining. Its not a song, its a musical event. Kanye and Jay are rebuilding the old Roc empire under the ruse of G.O.O.D. Music and this song is The Decleration of Independence, The Constitution, and The Boston Tea Party all rolled into 5 minutes of dynamic sound and voracious flows. I won't say anymore. I will let the music speak for itself. Are you sitting down?

No comments:

Post a Comment