Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Randy Couture


"The Natural"


Lovers of UFC will know exactly who Randy "The Natural" Couture is. However for those who may not here is some help. Ok up to speed now? Great well this post isn't about Randy at all(sorry if you read that entire bio) but about his in ring moniker. Ok I lied again its really more about the concept behind the nick name. The idea is that he is such a talented fighter, and has such a unique and athletic build that he doesn't have to try. Fighting simply comes naturally to him. That is what I am talking about, not fighting but acting natural. Things just naturally coming to you. In my case fitting in environments where others would not feel comfortable. Today I had a 1 o clock appointment with a certain Shera the assistant marketing director of The Whole Foods Market near to me. I am planning a little shindig(WTF does this phrase mean!?!?!?) for my birthday. So needless to say I was depending on a person who has no concept of time to get me there(I'm sorry I'm still tripping. Wouldn't having your shin dug into hurt like sh*t?) and needless to say we got there late. It was cool though cause it was only by about 3 and a half hours it was mad cool. I got there an clearly Shera had gone home for the day, but after being passed around for a while from employee to employee I ended in the hands of Vicki(stop laughing L!) who showed me the room I'd be using for my fucntion, and explained that it would look different because tonight they were setting up for a launch party(hmmm) for Edible Orlando Magazine(HMMMM) and that Shera would be there in a few, would I mind waiting(HHHHMMMMMMMM). Of course me being the patient(and currently hungry) soul that I am, I said sure. We go get in line and get some food, and on the way to pay I meet Shera. We chew the fat(I need to stop using these bizarre phrases) for a while and work out some details for Saturday. Now is where the fun starts, after Shera brings us the bottle opener we start in on our six pack and organic pizzas, and decide that not only are we being stared at(what no one sits in whole foods and drinks light beer?) but we may need to crash this launch party. The wine selection, the menu(watermelon gezpacho, goat cheese medallions, Fresh fruit), and the attendees(Vegan, Vegetarian, and Pescatarian women are sexy!) had a lot to do with this decision. Now I was all gung ho(here I go again smh) for it and had to convince my buddy to come along. See I have long believed that no one knows you don't belong somewhere unless you show them. People who sneak into VIP, or into a private beach, or whatever always have this nervous tenseness about themselves. I have a certain Je Ne sais quoi that blocks me from behaving as such. My friends have asked me numerous times, "ID how did you pull that off?" Simple, I acted like I belonged. I behaved naturally as if I owned the joint. I ordered my first drink for myself in a restaurant at age 17(I was a freshman in college ok!) and the waitress dare not ask me for ID after I requested a Ketel one Martini dry with a lime twist. I was too specific, I was too calm, I was a natural. So we finished our pizzas, and got up to use the bathroom. Which conveniently was located in the area where the party was(did they just give me an IN?) being held. We go inside and this dude still wants to leave. Well by then we are waist deep in the party and the crowd has converged on our preferred exit.I said "Look man they don't want us to leave" and so we stayed. Initiated a convo with the hired bands manager after I noticed the lead singer playing a Gibson(an acoustic masterpiece), I mingled, I even was the first one of us to sample the wine, and baller ass spread of fresh fruit(MANGO AND PAPAYA FTW!!!). I was being my usual relaxed, and natural self. I even spoke to the publisher of the magazine who personally constructed the guest list and had no idea who I was! I left with the inaugural issue of the mag, and a free copy(retail value $5) of the bands CD. How? Why? What? All because I acted cool, calm, collected, and most important Charismatic. It's just what I do, I don't even have to try, after all I'm a NATURAL.

2 comments:

  1. LOL Glad you misled your readers because Randy Couture was pretty much Sanskrit to me! I think charisma and confidence automatically give you on an upper hand when it comes to "belonging." It's so true that people will treat you the way you present yourself. I struggle with this a lot because I tend to be naturally reserved and soft-spoken, but that's only because I thought I didn't "belong" and that everyone would see right through me! But now that I've grown out of that and discovered that I actually have the authority to BE who I want to be, my perspective on relating to others has completely shifted. It's a great realization lol These are the kinds of self-discoveries opportunities are made of!

    p.s. Maybe you can network with that Publisher...and have all the edibles you can eat!

    "no one knows you don't belong somewhere unless you show them."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up several explanations for the origin of shindig and this site's interpretation provides a good ground for discussion. #Nerd lol


    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-shi4.htm

    ReplyDelete