Friday, September 17, 2010

We Are Not Pleased

Oh How I Loathe Thee:


Popeye's Chicken Lady

The idea for this post came to me as I was dragged to Popeye's a few nights ago, a place I had sworn of for purely political reasons. Contrary to stereotypical belief not all of us of the negroid derivation love chicken. Shocking I know. I actually don't have much love for the bird at all. I am actually rather partial to duck and turkey but none the less in true accordance with male stereotype I have a sincere appreciation for fried chicken wings(I know it's conflicting! Sue Me!!!) with all of their finger licking goodness. Fried chicken is one of the most common food items in this country, it's almost universal adored in some form or fashion, and even has a national award handed out to those who prepare it the best. You would think that a product with such a large following would almost nearly market itself but remember this is America! If it makes sense it is probably not happening! Fried chicken has been the victim of some of the most grotesque marketing strategies(at least in the south) that the culinary community has seen. None however has been more insulting or infuriating(at least to me) than this female character(since I don't know the woman personally) that Popeye's is currently employing. I understand the "theme" of Popeye's is Southern, and Cajun but does that mean we create a character who is still waiting on the 13th amendment to be signed? I don't mind using a character with a southern(or Cajun) twang to their voice, or one who displays "Southern" hospitality or other characteristics. However with this apron, exaggerated smile, and poor English I'm half expecting her to say something about Massah in every commercial! It's just overkill and it's tasteless. I mean DAMMIT DO WE NEED 4 E's IN THE WORD SWEET?!?!? I MEAN REALLY!
*deep breath*
This is just a tidbit of the(pardon my English{what I think French speakers say before they curse}) fuckery that goes on in these commercials. Every time I see one my mind goes back to the movies "Drop Squad"

and "Bamboozled"

two films from Spike Lee which basically show how disgusting the media can be in it's insensitivity to offensive stereotypes. Were I from the state of Louisiana I may have incited a riot when I first saw these commercials. Maybe I am blowing this out of proportion but I don't think I am. I really wonder how this woman sleeps at night? Is the money worth your dignity? Are you truly ignorant to how detrimental what you are doing is? Are you human(maybe she's a stereotype based chicken marketing android)? Hopefully she goes away soon, because all I see when she comes on is a modern day female version of this....

(Sambo)


For your consideration....

GospelPak Commercial from the Spike Lee Film "Drop Squad"
(can't you just imagine the Popeye's logo there)


Blogger's Note: The grotesquely deplorable "Love That Chicken" commercials are completely missing from YouTube(I wanted to post one to compare against the above clip) so hopefully banning them from television will be next
Salaam

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't be surprised if her acting coach was a gay white man..."Now when you say the word chicken, say it with an attitude and snap your fingers like this..." Ha!

    Oh and this line -->> "maybe she's a stereotype based chicken marketing android." LOL!!!

    I absolutely died laughing...

    ReplyDelete